The Princess cut as we know it today, can be traced back to the 1960’s. In 1971, the diamond cutter Basil Watermeyer patented a new diamond cut with the name “the Barion”. This looked already a bit like the Princess, but the many symmetrical lines of the Barion made it very difficult to cut this shape correctly. Years later, this name changed into the Princess cut.
Princess cut diamonds have intense sparkle and intricate cross facets making it a favourite which looks good in just about every setting. As of 2015, Princess cut diamonds were the second most popular choice for an engagement ring. Approximately 30% of engagement rings use Princess cut diamonds.
The cut has a square or rectangular shape when viewed from above, and from the side is similar to that of an inverted pyramid with four bevelled sides.
- Would you like to personalise your Ethica Diamond with a special message or date with a hidden inscription?
- Would you like our workshop to set your Ethica Diamond in a setting that you already have?
- Available in a range of carat weights. See menu above.
- The stones shown on the model’s hand are for reference only. Actual carat weight availability may vary.
- In the event that another jeweller sets your stone, the Lifetime Stone Guarantee will be void.
- Please get in touch if you require more information here: CONTACT US
CARAT SIZE CHART